There isn't much worse than shrinking your clothes in the laundry! This easy trick will show you how to unshrink a sweater and other clothes too so you don't have to toss them out!
Recently, I made a huge mistake. When we were cleaning out my Grandmommy's house, my daughter found some of her sweaters and decided to keep them for herself. They had the faint scent of moth balls on them, so I decided to give them a quick spin in the washing machine when we got home. As you can probably guess from the title of this post, I shrunk one of the sweaters. It was a really pretty, green wool sweater, and of course...I didn't bother to read the care label before washing it. Shame on me, right? Well, in true Jess fashion, I decided that living with the shrunken sweater wasn't an option, so I did a little research. I was so pleased to find that there was an easy way to fix her sweater, and I hadn't ruined it for good! I'm also really excited that I've got yet another laundry hack to share with you!
Note: This trick works great on other clothes too!
Other Laundry Hacks You May Like
- How to Keep Jeans From Fading
- The Best Stain Remover
- How to Get Ink Stains Out of Clothes
- 3 Ingredient Homemade Bleach Alternative
- How to Make Your Own Laundry Pods
- How to Clean Uggs and Other Sheepskin Boots
- How to Make Reusable Fabric Softener Sheets
How to Fix a Shrunken Sweater
- Fill a sink or large tub with warm water.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil and mix it into the water using a large spoon. If you don't have olive oil, you can use baby shampoo or fabric softener instead.
- Submerge your sweater in the water mixture for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the sweater and lay it on a flat surface.
- Slowly and gently pull the sweater back to its original size. Just pull on the arms a little and stretch them out first, then work on the body of the sweater.
- Allow the sweater to dry, and its shape should be as it was before it was shrunk!
I'll definitely be paying more attention to the care labels on my clothes going forward. I hope this tip helps you as much as it helped me! If you are looking for more easy tips and home cleaning recipes and hacks, be sure to check out my Home Cleaning Page HERE where there are literally hundreds of tips and recipes!