Everyone has a spot in their home where they drop all of their junk mail, school papers, Amazon boxes and whatever else doesn’t necessarily have a home, right? I want to show you how to declutter your office or home drop zone quickly. These easy tips will help you start to eliminate clutter and may just inspire you to keep on cleaning and decluttering other spaces in your home!
In my Home Cleaning and Organizing Facebook Community (you can join HERE), we do some fun cleaning and organizing challenges. One of our most recent challenges is a quick decluttering challenge. The goal is to quickly declutter a small space each day. Nothing major, just a fast, simple decluttering. The goal is to get rid of and put away the items that pile up where they don’t belong so your home feels like the calm, comfortable space it should be. If you are looking to go a bit further and do a full clean and organize, you can check out the 4 Week Cleaning and Organizing Challenge we did in January HERE…it includes a printable/downloadable chart and the post has links and instructions for every room in your home and you can follow it at your own pace.
To start the decluttering challenge, I shared my home office space. This is the space in our home that is the drop zone. Everyone has a drop zone, you know…the place in your home where you drop your mail, stack up papers from your kid’s school, place things you will deal with later and generally just drop anything that doesn’t have a home. The goal here isn’t to go into a huge organizing frenzy (we will be tackling that too, just not at this moment). The goal is to just put some things away and hopefully love your space so much that you continue to do so. So, turn on some of your favorite music and let’s just get started, shall we?
How to Declutter Your Space Quickly
1. Toss everything you don’t need. I mean it! If you don’t need it, get rid of it. Throw away any junk mail, opened envelopes that mail has come in, old brochures, boxes, etc.
2. Make a pile of things that you need to deal with like bills, paperwork that needs to be addressed, things that need to be filed (tax papers, records, etc.)
3. Put away any items that have a home, but have just been sitting in this area. Example…on my desk, I have glass bottles for my new cleaning line, Borax for a cleaning recipe I’m working on, a barrel head that I need to hang, my computer bag, a rug that needs to go in front of my back door and my camera. It took me 3 minutes to take each item and put them where they belong…except for the picture that I hung when I finished decluttering.
4. Wipe the surface area clean.
5. Make a folder for bills or papers that need to be addressed or place them in a basket. Set a timer or alarm for a time when you can sit down and deal with them separately…then make yourself do that! <<< We will cover more of the dealing with this during our organizing challenge in a couple of weeks. Today is more about getting the space decluttered!
6. Take a step back and enjoy the clean, decluttered space!
That’s it! Now that you have the decluttering bug, what will you declutter next?
Looking for more cleaning and organizing ideas and homemade cleaning recipes? I have hundreds that you can check out HERE on my Home Cleaning Page!