Hi everyone! I am so excited to a new recipe contributor here at Mom 4 Real. I blog over at Just Us Four where I share tons of recipes, some crafts and even a few DIY projects. Jessica’s blog was one of the first I started reading and I have been a faithful follower ever since.
The new year brings a lot of goals for people and eating healthy tends to top that list. For me, eating healthy means getting lots of vegetables and whole grains instead of grabbing pizza and pasta all the time. Today, I am sharing with you a recipe for Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Acorn Squash that will help you eat healthier but not lose any flavor!
When the weather is cold like it has been here, fall squashes are one of my favorite things because they are so hearty and comforting. They also make awesome little bowls for serving the rest of your meal in too!
- 2 Acorn Squash, halved with seeds removed
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp grapeseed oil
- 1 cup spelt
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Place spelt in bowl and cover with water. Let soak overnight. Drain and cook in 3 cups of boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain any remaining water from pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush the cut side of the acorn squash with 2 tsp of grape seed oil. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper. Bake in oven, cut side down for 30-35 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- In a pan over medium heat, cook Italian sausage, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan. Add remaining 1 tsp of oil to the pan and saute the onion and baby spinach for 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine spelt, Italian sausage, onion mixture, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Flip acorn squash over and fill cavity with sausage mixture. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake in over for 15 minutes.
Thanks so much for reading! I hope to see you over for a visit to Just Us Four soon.
I’m so happy to have Shannah here on my team! She puts together some amazing recipes as well as crafts and DIYs!
Here are some of my favorite recipes she has posted…