I love the look of Roman Shades, and have wanted to make them for myself for a long time now. When our master bathroom got a little makeover last week, I knew it was time. I don’t really want mine to open and close since it’s on a bathroom window, so mine is stationary. It was so easy to make this no sew roman shade, and I can’t wait to make more of them for my kitchen. It literally took minutes, and I couldn’t be happier!
My secret no sew weapon for this project is Elmer’s Craft Bond for Fabric and Leather! (This is not a sponsored post, I truly just love this stuff!) You will need fabric glue, fabric scissors and an iron. That’s it!
I started with a piece of fabric that was 2 inches wider than my window. For the length, I doubled the length of the fabric.
The first thing I did was fold my fabric over on each side about one inch. I ironed them flat to make it easier.
Next, I tacked it down using my glue.
I made sure to smooth it down with my fingers. This stuff dries pretty quickly and is extremely tacky, so I tried to work fast…if you need to take your time, glue a little, tap down, then repeat until you have one side tacked down. Repeat on the other side.
Now you will need to do the same thing to the top and bottom of your fabric.
This is what your panel should look like.
Flip your panel over, right side down. Play around with it here, and just eyeball it…no math, please ;) I just made the folds like you would see in roman shades and pulled them in and out until it looked pretty even all the way down.
I used my craft bond glue to tack down the edges first, then made a thin line of glue all the way across under the crease, smoothing it out with my hand as I went across to make sure it was bonding the fabric together.
Once dry (in a few minutes), I turned the panel right side up.
Now I placed a thin bead of glue all the way across the fabric under the fold and smoothed the fabric down with hands to bond the fabric together.
To hang my shade, I simply used some tacky velcro on the window frame and the back top of the shade. I didn’t want any rods or to damage the window frame, and the velcro was a great way to acheive that!
Now my bathroom is complete, and I love the feeling in here!