Your pillows and mattresses may not be cleaned as often as other items in your home, but you can help them repel allergy causing dust mites by using this DIY Mattress Spray. It helps absorb odors, repel most dust mites and leave your mattress and pillows smelling fresh and clean!
Pillows and mattresses are host to all kinds of things, including hair, dead skin and even dust mites. It all sounds a bit gross, but it's totally normal.
What are dust mites?
Dust mites are microscopic, insect-like pests that live in house dust. Dust mites feed on flakes of dead skin that is shed by people and pets. These tiny creatures can be a major source of allergens and can worsen allergies and asthma. Dust mites commonly live in mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, carpets, and curtains in your home.
How do you get rid of dust mites?
While you most likely won't be able to get rid of all dust mites, there are a few ways to eliminate most of them. Here are some ways you can help minimize the amount of dust mites in your home...
- vacuum carpets, floors and upholstery often
- dust your home often
- clean your sheets and bed pillows often ( use THIS easy tutorial to clean your bed pillows )
- Clean your mattresses every few months ( use THIS easy tutorial to help clean your mattresses )
- wash your curtains every few months
- change your HVAC filter at least once every 6 weeks
- use a dust mite repellent on pillows, mattresses and fabric furniture (see the recipe below)
What's do you need to make DIY Mattress Spray?
While most of these items can be purchased at your local grocery store, I like to provide Amazon links to the products as well, just in case you’d like to purchase them there. If you click any of the affiliate links to Amazon in this post and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission.
- 1 cup of distilled water
- 1 cup of distilled white vinegar ( Purchase HERE )
- 8 drops of peppermint essential oil ( Purchase HERE )
- 8 drops of eucalyptus essential oil ( Purchase HERE )
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil ( Purchase HERE )
- Spray bottle ( Purchase Glass Bottles HERE and Plastic Bottles HERE )
To make the homemade mattress spray, just mix the above ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake well before each use.
The vinegar helps to disinfect and deodorize, the peppermint essential oil is a natural bug repellent (works great to keeps ants, spiders and roaches away too), the eucalyptus essential oil helps to purify surfaces and air, and the lavender essential oil has amazing antibacterial properties and helps with relaxation.
How do you use mattress spray?
- Remove your bed linens and wash them.
- Shake the mattress spray before each use.
- Spay your mattress liberally with the mattress spray.
- Let your mattress air dry for 3-4 hours.
- Remake your bed and enjoy a restful night of sleep!
More cleaning tips and recipes...
Looking for more easy cleaning recipes and tips? Check out my Home Cleaning Page for hundreds of ideas HERE!