There is nothing quite like digging into a twice baked potato. It's like they married two of my favorite things...baked potatoes and mashed potatoes, then added cheese! These easy air fryer twice baked potatoes are the perfect addition to any meal and are sure to become a family favorite recipe after the first bite! They start with air fried baked potatoes and end in the most delicious, creamy goodness ever!
- 2 Baking Potatoes (Idaho or Russet work best)
- 2 Tbsp Butter (Divided)
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Slices of Bacon (Cooked & Chopped)
- ⅓ Cup Green Onions (Chopped)
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Take 1 Tbsp of butter and smear it on the outside of both of the potatoes. You can also use shortening or a little olive oil instead of butter.
- Next, season the outside of the potatoes with salt, it should stick to the greased potato well.
- Line your air fryer basket with a piece of foil. Place potatoes right on the foil.
- Place the air fryer basket into the air fryer and cook for about 18-22 minutes.
- The potatoes should be pretty soft on the inside by this point. You can test them by sticking a fork in the middle of one – if it goes in and out super easily, they are probably ready. If it’s hard to get in, they may need a little more time.
- Remove the potatoes and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Slice each potato in half, so that you have four halves.
- Carefully, scoop out the insides of the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Be careful not to scoop every last bit of potato away from the skin, or your skin may be too flimsy to hold the filling.
- Se the empty skins off to the side.
- Add the other Tbsp of butter to the bowl with the potatoes. Add the sour cream to the potatoes and about 3 Tbsp of the cheese.
- Mix well. Once it’s thoroughly mixed, use a spoon to return the potato filling to the potato skins. Divide it evenly between each of the four skins.
- Top each with the remaining shredded cheese. Place cooked bacon on top of each potato.
- Return potatoes to the air fryer basket. Cook for about 3-5 additional minutes – just long enough to melt the cheese and crisp the bacon!
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and top with the chopped green onions.
You can omit smearing the potatoes with butter, shortening, or olive oil for dietary reasons if you need to, but they will not be as crispy on the outside! In addition to salt you can also season the skin of the potatoes with a little garlic powder, onion powder, or your own favorite seasonings! You don’t have to line the air fryer basket with foil but I find it really helps with clean up. In addition to the bacon and green onions you can also top each potato with additional sour cream and black pepper if you’d like! These potatoes are crisp on the outside and creamy in the middle! They pair perfectly with steaks, chicken, burgers, pork, or more vegetables! They are best eaten right away but, will keep in the fridge covered for 1-2 days. I recommend reheating them in the air fryer or the oven (not the microwave) to keep the integrity of their crisp in tact!
Keywords: air fryer, air fryer baked potatoes, air fryer twice baked potatoes, baked potatoes, air fried, twice baked potatoes, potatoes