How To Start Seeds In 3 Days ~ Simple Gardening Tip

How to start seeds in 3 days

This post was originally published in the Spring of 2013…I’d like to share it with you again since Spring is finally here and it’s time to get those seeds planted! Today I’m also sharing 10 Gardening Tips over at The Graphics Fairy!  Click HERE to see them! Happy Gardening!

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

I love flowers! There is nothing better than having coffee on my patio in the mornings, surrounded by all of the vibrant colors in my garden.  I especially love flowers that climb trellises and fences.   This year, I decided to add some new climbers to my garden, and I wanted them to grow quickly.  To be honest, I just forgot to do my usual indoor seed planting weeks ago like I was supposed to.  So, when I saw a tip in Southern Living Magazine last week, I decided to try it.  Now I am going to show you how to start seeds in 3 days!  No kidding…

how to start seeds the fastest way Pick out your seeds.  I chose morning glories, moonflowers, and cypress.

How to starts seeds the quickest way Pour your seeds out.

clip the end of a seed off with nail clippers to grow faster Clip the end off of each one…this can take a while, so get comfortable.

And…please excuse my hideous nails.

Clip seeds then soak in water overnight for fast germination Once you have clipped them, put them in a glass of water and let them soak overnight.

This softens the seed coating and allows it to germinate quickly.

How to start seeds super fast Plant your seeds in a pot or straight in the ground like me, and within 3 days, you will have sprouts!!!

I cannot wait to watch these babies grow and start to vine up the trellis!

Gardening Tip - Start Seeds in 3 Days at Mom 4 Real

Do you have any easy gardening tips?  I would love to hear them!

Happy gardening!

Email Subscription

New post! Corn and Black Bean Salsa Recipe ~ Make In Minutes http://t.co/lLZjZvLZbA - 13 hours ago

Comments

comments

Comments

Katie says

How awesome! I was wondering if I should just bypass all the seeds I just bought because I was late too but I think I’ll try em!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I’m so glad you showed this! I nearly severed a digit trying to “nick” my seed with a paring knife :) Duh. I planted those same seeds too, and the soaking really does help! Will love seeing your garden when it grows.
    xo, Andrea

Rose says

what a great idea! I will definitely try this.

Great tip Jess! My husband is the green thumb between the two of us and he had me start his veggies seeds a few weeks ago and I totally failed lol! Definitely trying this out!

Janet says

My zucchini seeds didn’t germinate in the ground for some reason so I decided to try them using a method I used with my third graders to let them see seed germination. I soaked a paper towel. Inserted it in a ziplock bag. Then I laid 8 seeds on the wet towel and taped the bag to a sunny window. Two days later the seeds are all germinating! Now to get them into the ground before they grow long spindly stems.

I always soak mine too but I have never tried clipping them. I am going to have to do that this year :)

Fold a couple of paper towels in half.
    Lay them in a cookie sheet.
    Spread your seeds inside the paper towels.
    Pour cup of water on the towels to dampen.
    Place in oven, on low, over night,
    Keep moist
    Seeds should be sprouting after 10 hours.

That’s a good tip to know… especially if you do not have a lot of time on your hands these days like myself. Sometimes I mean to do it, but can’t get to it! This will help me in the future… Thanks for sharing.

So pinning this! I was about to give up on all the seeds I bought last month, I thought it was too late, now it’s not! Thanks so much for sharing this tip. :)

Terri says

This is Great! Thanks for sharing. Also I would love to know the name of the climbing vine with bright orange flowers in the picture, so pretty.
    Thanks, Terri

Kim says

@Terri,
      They look like they may be Black eyed Susan vines. Do a search and see what you think. They come in different colors. I hope this helps.
      Kim

Carla says

Can I also do this with veggie seeds ????

Dee says

Is it too late to do this now?!? I just found some seeds I bought late January and misplaced. ;-(

peggy says

Im for sure going to try this with my morning glories!!!!!!!! especially since Ive been told I cant have morning glories in ARIZONA!!!!!!! they grow wild in texas, but I cant have them in arizona???????? watch me!!!!!!! My family mailed me some seeds, and Im DANG SURE GOING TO TRY IT. One more thing off my bucket list!!!!!!!!lol
    Im sure going to have fun trying. had beautiful ones in colorado!!!!!!
    thank you so much for the info.

Lynn Perez says

It also works well to just hold the seed and rub it a few times on a nail file, then soak.

Stacy says

What about poppy seeds? Too little to clip. I have a very hard time starting them. Anyone have an idea to share?

Have you tried soaking them in water overnight maybe, Stacy? I’m not sure it would work, but it just may :)

Thanks Jessica for reminding me of this soaking tip, for the seeds I haven’t sown yet as I’ve been in hospital with a back problem and my garden has been neglected. it’s ok for the big seeds, so I’ll just scatter the tiny ones & hope for the best. Enjoy your Easter holiday. not sure when yours is , but here in France where I live, it starts this w/e, there’s Choc. eggs & easter bunnies everywhere in the chocolatieres

Hi, Barbara! It’s going to be Easter this coming weekend here as well, although I’d much rather spend it in France! How amazing! Hope your back feels better soon! Hugs, Jessica

Louise Checketts says

Hi my name is Louise I found your site a couple days ago and have been hooked ever since. I Love it. I would like to start growing a small plant to brighten up my bedroom but have no idea about gardening or plants. I want it to be relatively small and colourful what would you recommend? and could you recommend any books that would help someone who is a beginner with gardening? I would really appreciate your help with this. Thank you x

Hi, Louise…you are so sweet! As far as an indoor plant, it may be best to buy one that has already been started and does well indoors…maybe a small fern or African Violet. They usually need a little light and to be watered only once per week. I don’t really read gardening books, but if you go to google.com and type in beginner gardening, I bet a ton of information will come up! Hope this helps! XOXO Jessica

Great tip! I was wondering if I could do this with rose seeds as well? Please let me know and thank you so much for posting such informative information.

Chris says

Hi. Your picture shows Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia). I wanted to let you know that the seeds are big enough that they will work with the soaking method but I also scratch the seeds to rough up and thin the protective outer shell. I hold the seed with a tweezers and run it over an emery board and then soak it n warm water. There are two types of what is called Black Eyed Susan vine. One is Thunbergia and the other is Rudbeckia Hirta. Either can be started with these methods to speed germination.