Summer Home Tour 2013

Painted Parquet Wood Floors Hey, hey peeps!  Over the past couple of years, I’ve shown bits and pieces of my home.  Today, I am going to show you most of my home in one place…a virtual home tour so to speak.  It’s important to me that you know that we don’t live in a large home, and that truly live within our means.  We are a happy, close knit family, and we firmly believe in you don’t have to have a load of cash or a large loan to turn a not so pretty house into a comfy happy home….

I have two kids, a husband, a dog, and a cat, and we all live happily in a smallish house in Kentucky.  I love to make inexpensive and unique changes as often as possible!  So, let me show you around.  When you walk into our home, you are greeted by my favorite colors…blue and white.  We had the standard green front door and parquet floors that were in desperate need of some help, so I painted my parquet floors them to add a fun touch when you walk in!

Mom 4 Real Living Room1

Our foyer is quite small and leads upstairs or directly into our living room.

Our home is all about being comfortable…I want my kids to crash on the couch after a long day at school and put their feet up, so slipcovers are a must…plus, I mentioned the dog, right?

Wine Cork Coffee Table

I recently made this cork topped coffee table…well, I didn’t make it, but I did give it the new top.

We definitely like to keep it unique and interesting around here.

Chalkboard Above MantelI adore decorating our mantel when the seasons change…right now, there is this huge chalkboard that used to be a mirror with some shells, a wine cork monogram, and a couple of plants.  You could come back tomorrow, and it may be totally different!

Dining Room at Mom 4 Real

Our living room leads opens up to our dining area.  I used a mix of aqua and white to keep the flow of the living room going.

openkitchencabinetsaquawhite4

I told you things change here often…not sure if you noticed that the table is completely different here, and you get a little peak into our kitchen.

I told you I like blues…baby blue, navy blue, aqua…

Open Kitchen Cabinets Painted on the Inside

I recently painted our kitchen cabinets white, and ended up taking some of the cabinet doors off and painting the insides a gorgeous deep aqua.

Chalkboard Menu

I added beadboard backsplash and a fun little chalkboard menu.  You can see the full before and after by clicking HERE.

Breakfast Nook - Aqua and White

Our kitchen connects to a teeny, tiny breakfast nook that shares the same theme.  This is my favorite spot in our house!

Mom 4 Real Patio

Right outside our breakfast nook door is our patio…it is small as well, but perfectly intimate.  We spend all the time we can out here as a family.

I wish I could show you all of my flowers, but they are not blooming quite yet!

Cottage Bedroom Reveal at www.mom4real.com

I’ll conclude this little “snoop session” with a little peak inside my daughter’s new bedroom.  She caught the aqua bug as well, and I couldn’t be happier!

I hope you enjoyed peaking around our home, now I wish I could just invite you all to hang on our patio with me!

jessicafollow

Trying to start packing for @snapconf ummm....seriously? #snapconf #nocatsallowed #cantwait http://t.co/vfdwocSwDP - 9 hours ago

Comments

comments

Comments

You’re home is beautiful! I’m loving aqua/blues lately too and I just loved the opportunity to drool over your kitchen again today! ;)

So very pretty! I totally love the “realness” in your post. I just posted today about the new “vintage” Ball jars…and my love for turquoise. Your home tour was the icing on the cake for me. Have a lovely…rest of the day! k.

Your home is so adorable!!! I love the kitchen cabinets off and the aqua!!! AWESOME!!! Shared on FB and I’m off to “pin”! Have a great day!!~~Angela

So cozy and welcoming. I could really relax in such a pretty space. I just made and posted a floor lamp that would be perfect in your home. I love your style.

Jessica I love your home, one of the best I’ve seen! I’m glad to see someone loves chalk boards as much as I do… Did you paint right onto the mirror on your mantel?
    Susan

I love it that your home is uniquely you and that you live within your means! We’ve been in our home for 22 years and it’s older and under 2000 sq. ft., but I’ve been so tickled at our projects to make it better for us! I still love your kitchen, too :)

What a lovely home tour and that eating area in the kitchen is adorable. Love that shutter/door painted blue in the corner!

Cynthia

Everything is so pretty Jessica!! I love all the blue and white touches and that painted floor in you foyer is fabulous!! Love that cork top table too! Thanks so much for the tour!

Lovely and colorful home. The painted tile gave me an idea of what to do with mine. May I ask what kind of paint you used and how durable it is with a lot of traffic. I have 5 highly active great-grandchildren that are in and out all day during the summer months. Lol! My colors are red/gold with black wrought iron.

Lesley says

Did you find blue and white tiles for your entry way…or did you paint the blue ones. And IF you purchased them, may I ask where?
    Just lovely…:-)

Lesley says

Just lovely…:-)

Jessica, your home is so welcoming and I love all the blues. Your home is big in its welcoming and comfort. And I adore your backyard area. Our hydrangeas are just about ready to burst and I can not wait. We had about 2 lilacs and they were destroyed by the rain before I could cut anything. I hope you are fully enjoying your flowers by now! Take care, Laura

Hi! My home has a very similar layout to yours — our front door opens into a small entry area that’s really part of the living room. I have trouble keeping the carpet by the door clean, because people often accidentally step onto the carpeting when they enter the home. (We have linoleum by the front door.) Do you find it difficult to keep your carpeting clean by the front door?

your home is adorable….very cozy and inviting….love the aqua in your kitchen inside the cabinets….love your mantel….and your daughters room!! I love it all…you did a great job…

I love the sweet home you have created with sooting colors and comfy decor.

We live in a small cottage spending well below our means and love the saying, “Better joy in a cottage than sorrow in a palace”. We are at a point in our lives where many different friends who have been married for years are now divorcing. Several of them on occasion commented on our decision to not live in a big fancy house. There lack of content that leads to divorce has proven to me that it isn’t the size of the house, but the size of the love.

You have a beautiful home and I wish you well.

Such a lovely home! Congrats on being one of the most viewed posts from last week’s “Wow Us Wednesday” over at Savvy Southern Style blog.

kimberly_c says

I really enjoy your blog & DIY decor ideas! I am always looking for inexpensive & crafty ways to jazz up our home — I especially like the wine cork monograms and the coffee table in the living room. Thrilled to discover your blog — lots of inspiring ideas! {I live in 40509, too!}

Jane Billings says

I enjoyed touring your home. It is so nice to see a “real” house. You are so talented.

Jessica…. I must have missed this while I was in NC for Savanna to have the baby. So wish I had had the time to stop in and visit with you on my way out east. I love your home! It is so relaxing, welcoming, and pretty!!! I love how you keep it real and talk about living within your means… We are the exact same way! Gorgeous doesn’t have to mean huge and your house proves it! Love ya, girl!
    Laura @ Our Prairie Home recently posted…I WON!!… One Project Closer’s DIY Project Contest (And A Master Bedroom Update)My Profile