Aqua Painted Dresser With Ribbon Handles {Trash to Treasure}

Aqua Painted Dresser With Ribbon Handles  www.mom4real.com

I love showing my readers how to decorate their homes without breaking the bank.  Today, I am going to show you how I turned an abandoned dresser that I found on the side of the road into a beautiful painted dresser for my daughter’s new big girl bedroom!

Wanna see what it looked like before I got my hands on it?

dresser-before

There I was, driving to Target when I spotted this beauty and a matching vanity.  I pulled my car over so fast, I’m pretty sure I almost gave my daughter whiplash.  I couldn’t just leave it there, though…I mean look at it!  The mirror alone had my heart beating super fast!  Not exactly what I would call pretty…well, maybe back in the day, but not in this state, but I just knew it could be.  You should have seen me trying to wrestle all of these into my SUV…I’m 5 feet tall, so I’m sure it was quite the site!

Ribbon Drawer Pulls  www.mom4real.com

So, I got it home and let it hang out in my garage for a few weeks before I decided to paint it.  It came at the perfect time, because Kate was dying for a big girl room.  She wanted her room to match the rest of our home which is decorated in what I would refer to as a beach cottage style.  I had just painted her room, when my husband hauled it up the stairs for me.  Kate and I decided to paint the mirror white and the dresser the same aqua color as we painted her wall.  I used Valspar’s paint and primer in one in Lake Breeze in an eggshell finish.

The only problem was, the cup handles were in terrible shape.  Well, me being the thrifty girl that I am, decided to try and see if I could find something around our home that we could use.  I raided my ribbon stash and ran back upstairs to give my idea a try…ribbon pulls!  They worked perfectly!

Painted Dresser With Ribbon Pulls

Aren’t they so simple and sweet?  And…they work!  Did I mention they were free???

Aqua Decor in Cottage Style Bedroom www.mom4real.com

We pulled together some things from around the house to dress her new dresser up, and added a new lamp.

Isn’t it just darling?

Aqua Painted Dresser With Ribbon Pulls and White Mirror  www.mom4real.com

I have to admit, I tried to get Kate to take the pom pom flowers down, but she quickly reminded me that this was her room and not just for a blog.

Whoops…need to remember that more often.  So, the tissue paper flowers stayed, and Kate’s room is one step closer to being finished!

So…what do you think?  Would you give a roadside dresser a chance?

Sharing at Between Naps on the Porch and Savvy Southern Style

TDC Before and After

jessicafollow

Trying to start packing for @snapconf ummm....seriously? #snapconf #nocatsallowed #cantwait http://t.co/vfdwocSwDP - 19 hours ago

Comments

comments

Comments

Rondell says

Oh, my goodness, I’d definitely give it a chance! I used ribbon on my washstand and I still have it there. I think it’s really sweet!

This is such a great find! I can’t believe it was free, just sitting there. Crazy!! It’s so pretty now. Love that the detail on the mirror base shines now with the white paint treatment!! Super feminine with your smart choice of new hardware too.
    It’s a win!! :)

Thank you! I didn’t sand it. I just painted the edges with a brush and rolled the rest on. It has built in primer, so it went on like a charm.

I have a dresser almost just like that one! – well now that I think of it I have 2!! I was going to put one in the bottom of my closet to add drawers for storage and now I want to paint it – love the colors and the pulls. You did great!

Man, I am driving around in the wrong neighborhoods! What a fab roadside treasure! You really turned this piece into something beautiful, and I think the ribbon pulls seal the deal (along with the glorious color choice!). Love it! I have a Kate too, and am in the midst of a bedroom redo for her as well. She sounds equally strong-minded as yours, and I could totally imagine her telling me that it was “her room” and not just for the blog. :-)
    Jenny@EvolutionofStyle recently posted…Girl’s Room in Green and a Master Peg BoardMy Profile

Well, it’s perfect! I have had the idea before for ribbon drawer pulls, but haven’t had the chance to use them myownself just yet – so glad you did! And I had to laugh about it ‘being your daughter’s room and not just for the blog’ – I’ve gotten that comment on more than one occassion – lol! Visiting from SSS and would love for you swing on by when you have a minute!

Cheers – Jen

Such a beautiful transformation of the dresser and I love the idea of ribbon handles – well done! Now I’m wishing I still had an old dresser similar to yours. :)

Kimberly Patterson says

PLEASE, share the make and name of paint color you used for this BEAUTIFUL room! I am in the midst of creating a nursery in my home for my grand daughter and this is the perfect color for the walls and doors. I’m so excited I found your site.

Hi, Kimberly! It is Lake Cottage by Valspar (primer and paint in one) I am using it to paint my foyer floors right now, and love it! It’s by far the best paint I have ever used! Thank you so much for stopping by!!! Congratulations on the grandbaby!!!

1. [...] Can Decorate / DIY Barnwood Wall Art by Fancy Frugal Life / Bird Coffee Table by The DIY Village / Painted Dresser with Ribbon Handles by Mom 4 Real / Mid-century Dresser Makeover by First Home Love Life / Fence Board Backsplash by [...]