Christmas Mantel 2012 … Chalkboard LOVE!

This year, I wanted to do something a little more, well…me when decorating my mantel for Christmas.

I wanted a gigantic chalkboard in the middle, urns with evergreen trees, and real garland this year.
I have a chalkboard obsession, and any of you who have been around for a while know it isn’t going away any time soon.  I’ll try not to bore you with the details, but if you feel like you need a chalkboard fix, you are welcome to check out my Turn a Mirror into a Chalkboard post or my post on Turning an Old Picture Frame into a Chalkboard, there is even a post on How To Make Chalkboard Vinyl Labels…I know, it’s a sickness.
Anyhow, I have been holding on to this old issue of Cottage Living since December 2006, because of the sheer chalkboard envy of this old cottage kitchen.  I think this may be where my chalkboard obsession began…I mean, isn’t it gorgeous?  I’ve looked and looked for something similar for years, and have had absolutely no luck at all…until my friend Angie had a yardsale…
She was selling this huge mirror from an old dresser for $20, and I had to have it.  I knew it was meant to be…this mirror would some how, some way become the chalkboard of my dreams.  Sadly, it took me 3 months to finally start…then I became obsessed.

I used some white chalk paint, and covered the entire thing…wood and mirror both.  I went ahead and painted the wood with an extra coat, then distressed with a sanding block.

Next, I painted the mirror sections with 3 coats of chalkboard paint.  After they had dried overnight, I held a stick of chalk sideways and went over the entire chalkboard.  I lightly wiped it off, then began drawing and erasing, and drawing and erasing some more.  I wanted it to look old and worn, like the chalkboard of my dreams.  This process went on for days, until Matt finally popped in and said I was getting a little crazy with the whole chalkboard thing.  So, I stepped back and said, okay…that’ll just have to do then.  It’s not exactly the same…it could never be, and there isn’t a spot in my kitchen for it, but I have the perfect spot for now…
He helped me lift the gigantor chalkboard onto the mantel, then the decorating began.  I added fresh garland, the  Urns I made for less than $3 each were stuffed with arborvitae clippings from our yard and some old amaryllis, then a few more small details were added.
I think it’s my favorite mantel yet!  I love the natural elements, mixed in with some old family favorites. I even popped some wooden spools and a horseshoe up there for fun…
So, how about you?  What do you think?   Have you done any Christmas decorating yet, or am I just Christmas crazy?

AMAZING TIP! http://t.co/CgS29NsBXX - 1 day ago

Comments

comments

Comments

What a great idea to use that old dresser mirror!!! Love it!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

Awesome! I love how that turned out! Love the crown molding on the top of the mirror! That is such a great piece. And that garland is fabulous too!

You know what? I think the little spools may be my favorite part! But then again, anything looks amazing against a chalkboard. :) I’ve got chalkboard on the brain, like, always too. What can you do? Run with it!

Jessica, I will never look at mirrors the same! I had no idea you could turn a mirror into a chalkboard! Yours looks marvelous as part of your Christmas mantel display. Love how you added those spools into it, too.

Absolutely Love it Jess! Love, love, love it! I want one now! (adn I can’t believe you scored that awesome mirror for only $20) Awesome job!

I love the chalkboard idea! I saw your blog on the Meet me Monday Link party and wanted to check it out!

Woo hoo! This is a fun transformation and the perfect focal point for your holiday mantel. :-)

Absolutely fantastic!! I love what you did. BTW, my friend just bought that house that is pictured in Cottage Living! She didn’t get to keep the chalkboard, though. It’s a great inspirational house!!

Umm.. yeah. I want that. No, really. You better hand it over before someone gets hurt! hehe

It’s freaking super gorgeous girl. $20??? You scored. It’s fabulous and it looks great right where you put it! Happy Holidays to YOU! You wonder decorating diva.

You had me at gigantor chalkboard! It looks amazing and I love that you used your urns :) and for $20~get outta here!
    Debbie

Nice job on the chalkboard, that turned out gorgeous!! I loved your mantle too, all together it looks beautiful!

Girl you outdid yourself on this one! WOWZA..it was totally meant to be. I love it. What a steal too.

You’re crazy good – I share your obsession with chalkboards! What a beauty and the whole mantel looks amazing.
    Kelly

ok sister, I think I’ve finally found someone who loves chalkboards as much as I do. I have that Country Living 2006 picture too in my binders of tear sheets. Love your chalkboard, if you ever decide to sell it…

Stopping by from The Life of Jennifer Dawn and let me tell you I LOVE the chalkboard!
    I too looked for quite sometime for an old school house chalkboard.
    I never did find one and I settled on buying a newer magnetic chalkboard, but yours is stunning and it has re instilled in me the desire to search on!

AMAZING!! Your chalkboard looks so much better than the magazine version! The whole mantle is beautiful and so homey and personal. You’ve really inspired me to get going with my decorating and crafting. I have Some Harry Potter ornaments to make for a friend and two little grandchildren to decorate for. Great job! :)

It’s gorgeous…you did a great job! I can see why you were obsessed over the one in the magazine! AH! Now I’m envious of yours. :)
    Kelly

This turned out beautifully! I love the very dark as the center of the mantle display. I so miss Cottage Living magazine . . . I still have about 6 years worth packed away.

Your chalkboard is awesome!! It makes a great centerpiece on your mantel.
    Mary Alice

What a great idea!! It looks amazing – I am totally going to steal this idea:)

Aw, it was meant to be Jessica. I love that you had such vision when you saw this mirror. It looks perfect now as the chalkboard of your dreams! Great job.
    xoxo,
    Kim

I have a stack of Cottage Livings that I refer to all the time… and it still looks so fresh! Love your project.

Awesome price on that mirror:) It’s perfect for your mantel too! Makes a huge statement and that’s what we all want, right?

Blessings,
    Linda

Looks great! So pretty.. And I love the chalkboard! It turned out great.

-Erin @ DIY On the Cheap

Looks fab Jessica! I tried turning a mirror into a chalkboard once – epic fail…the paint kept bubbling in a few places! I like the idea of painting it with chalk paint first! Beautiful decorating – so festive!

You really blew me away on this one Jessica. Awesome job! So happy you joined me.

It is amazing and gorgeous! A dresser mirror…I would never have thought to use that. Great job!

What a great idea! It looks fabulous on your mantel!

Very cute Jessica – and I adore that chalk board!
    Great idea!
    Thanks for linking up to the Christmas Mantel Linky Party at Embracing Change!
    Stacey

1. [...] I took a large mirror from an old dresser and turned it into a chalkboard for my mantel. [...]