Turn A Purse Into A Pretty Camera Bag {tutorial}

Purse Turned Camera Bag at www.mom4real.com
Last year, I got a new DSLR camera…a fancy camera.  I went a little nuts and made myself some camera strap covers and even a lense cap leash so I wouldn’t keep losing my lense cap.  I wanted to carry my camera everywhere, and did at first.  After a while, I got tired of lugging around my huge camera bag and a purse.  I hated that old ugly camera bag…I wanted something pretty.  So, I found some pretty camera bags online.  They were so pretty, but also a little pricey.  So, after close to a year of lugging around that big ugly camera bag, I decided to convert an old purse into a pretty, girly camera bag, and I love it!
I mean, what girl wants to carry around this?  Not me!
I started by taking the pieces out of my camera bag.  The bottom pops right out, the middle should come right out, and you can cut the foam pieces out of the walls of the camera bag.
Pick out some fabric, and lay your foam pieces from the walls of the camera bag on it to get your measurements.  Once you have figured out how long you need your fabric to be (depending on the size your camera bag), add about 2 inches all the way around and cut your fabric.
Now flip it inside out and fold it lengthwise.  Sew down the two short sides, then flip right side out.
Now,lay your foam pieces down on the fabric.  It should go short piece, long piece, short piece, long piece.  Spread them out evenly, then make a line with chalk in between each foam piece.  You are going to sew the lines in between the foam pieces.
Sew down each line (there should be 3).
Now, you slip your foam pieces into the pockets.  Fold the open part over twice, then sew the entire length closed.
This is what you should have.
Place the piece from the bottom of your camera bag into your purse.  Then, place your pretty foam barrier into the purse like this.
Now take the middle piece from the camera bag and place it in the purse as well.
Now you have a pretty, stylish Camera Purse!  Instead of lugging around a camera bag and a purse, you can pop your wallet, lipstick, and whatever else you need into one of the unused pockets inside and still look super cute!
Do you have an old ugly camera bag?  Make it pretty!

It's Monday, and I am on a mission to get this house all the way clean before we go back to school in 2 1/2... http://t.co/An9thBinAW - 4 hours ago

Comments

comments

Comments

Wow Jessica!!..That bag is fantastic!!…I can foresee a possible item for your shop….Many of us would buy handbags converted into camera bags!!…I love it!!…

I have one of those ugly camera bags. My hubby bought it for me for christmas a few years ago and he thought it was the greatest. I told him while it was nice, it wasn’t very stylish. He didn’t care about the stylish part, he just wanted me to have a good one for my camera. ha!

I’ve been wanting to get a new, more stlylish one.

You make it look so easy to do!

Thank you so much for sharing on Facebook! I’m having problems commenting on posts there so wanted to make sure you got my “Thank you”. It is such a fantastic idea and a ‘must-do’ for me! I love hand bags and cameras but not the camera bags and have some nice bags to convert. I used to use a diaper bag for my 35mm and zoom lens.Thanks again.
    ~pat

Thanks for sharing your story. I did many things as a teenager that I regret. I tried to impress things on my daughter when she was a teenager as well. I hope your story helps your son with decisions he will face.

I was looking at the girly camera totes this weekend and thinking the same thing. Why can’t I get a big ole purse and cushion it somehow. Thanks for saving me from having to figure it out on my own! I will go buy some foam, though, because my hubby will still want to keep the current bag for when he needs to take it somewhere. Surely he won’t want to carry a purse with him!

You are a genius!

Jenny

Thanks for sharing this. I’m going to pin it. I really need a camera bag.

You are so clever. Am I correct that you make camera straps? I need one:) and would love to buy one from ya.

Fan-freakin’-tastic, Jess! I hate all those ugly camera and laptop bags! What a great idea to make something really awesome out of something totally not!

Oh my gosh…love, love, LOVE this idea!
    I just got a Canon Rebel earlier this year and would love to have something pretty to carry it in!
    (I currently also use an “ugly” camera bag)
    Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Lisa Hall
    lisastuf.blogspot.com

Great idea. I have been using my purse too but my camera isn’t protected like yours. I must make an insert like yours.