Make Your Own Chalkboard Vinyl and Labels {tutorial)

As many of you know, I have been a chalkboarding fool lately…so much that I am opening a booth at a little shop to display and sell some of my chalkboard creations!  Yesterday, I was waiting for one of my projects to dry, and thinking…what else?  I wish I had some of that awesome chalkboard vinyl so I could make some labels for my glass canisters.  Then I thought hmmm…I have chalkboard paint, and I have vinyl, and I have a Cricut machine…why not try to make my own, so I did!  I made a large one for my refrigerator…

Some oval labels for my glass canisters…

A label for my little tin bucket…

Can you tell that I go a little overboard with things?

Here is how I made mine:

Start out by  cutting out your desired shape using your Cricut or Silhouette (or whatever you have…even by hand w/ scissors)

Paint three coats of chalk paint over the tops of the labels.
(Make sure they dry in between coats)

There you have it…your own chalkboard vinyl.  I wouldn’t recommend painting the vinyl before feeding it through your machine.  Use regular vinyl, then paint with chalkboard paint.
You can make any shape you want…and put them anywhere you like.  I am going to make a large one for Kate’s room…maybe in the shape of a flower!

These little labels on some clear glass canisters or mason jars would dress up any pantry or make a great hostess or housewarming gift!

Guys! The movie I've been waiting to see all summer is finally in select theaters! Wish I Was Here (… http://t.co/2O95mEctLG - 9 mins ago

Comments

comments

Comments

DANG IT! This is why I NEED a Silhouette!! lol! Love them Jess, so clever and you know what- go over board- it is A ok in my book! Do it UP!

This is a great idea – I love the message board on the fridge. After all, where else are they going to find your notes?

Thanks for visiting my little blog project and leaving such a nice comment.

What a brilliant idea. Your tutorial was great too. Thanks for sharing it!

My weekly Say G’day Saturday Linky Party is on now and I would be so thrilled if you could join in and link up this great post!

Best wishes for a fabulous weekend!
    Natasha in Oz

i am soooo stuck on chalkboard paint right now. everything i see needs a little chalkboard paint and personalization (someone please take away my paint brush). I am LOVING this idea – a perfect non-commitment redo. perfect for my indecisive gemini side!

Love it! I have been dying to make my own chalkboard labels, but am still working on figuring out how to work my Cricut.

Chalkboard paint is so fun! This is a great tutorial! We’re so glad that you linked up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We hope you’ll be back soon. -The Sisters

I had no idea you could paint vinyl! I’ve always wanted to make my own chalkboard vinyl. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

These are so cute! Does the paint scratch when you write on them? I painted the lids of my mason jars and they are scratching. Maybe I should just cover them with vinyl labels like these. Thanks for linking up!

Why, oh why did I never think of this? SUCH a great idea!! I think I will be doing a little chalkboard painting soon… Thanks so much for sharing at The Creative Spark. I’ll be featuring this on my Facebook page. Have a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

I absolutely love chalkboard paint! I’ve always wanted these but never really taken the time to buy them. Now I cam make them!

Thanks!

XO

Aren’t you such a clever girl! I would not have thought that would work! Thanks for saving us all some $$! This is such a great idea!

Take care,

Trish

lesley says

Luv the vinyl label idea , but where do i get the vinyl?

Thanks, Lesley! You can buy the vinyl at most craft stores, online, and sometimes even at Walmart. They actually sell chalkboard vinyl online if you want to buy it like that at http://www.vinylexpressions.com

Connie Grant says

I am new to all of this so I hope my question is not stupid…but how did you get the vinyl to adhere to the fridge?

Connie Grant says

I love this!!!!!

1. [...] from Mindy Mae’s Market…I think they add just the right touch!  I also made my own Chalkboard Vinyl Labels and added them so the kids wouldn’t get their drinks mixed up! Kate and I took an old [...]

2. [...] I used vinyl to make chalkboard labels and a stick on chalkboard for my refrigerator. [...]