DIY Drink Coasters w/ Mod Podge

The sun is shining bright here in Kentucky, so I am ready for some patio time!

I was at Lowe’s last week, and was trying to find some kind of crafty inspiration.  I just walked down every isle, until I found myself in the flooring section.  I saw these little 4 X 4 inch tiles for 16 cents, and grabbed 4.    I immediately thought…Coasters!  I love coasters, and was originally going to make them for my living room, but decided to make these fun summery coasters for my patio!
This is how I made mine…

First, I painted a coat of Mod Podge on the top of the tile.
Do one at a time…it dries quickly!

Then, I smoothed some scrapbook paper over the Mod Podge.

Once that dried, I flipped the tile over and cut of the excess paper with my x-acto knife.

Next, I turned the tile back over and painted on a top coat of Mod Podge.

Make sure to smooth out the edges and get any wrinkles or bubbles out.

Now here is the fun part!  I cut out shapes that remind me of Summer, using my Cricut machine.  You can buy pre-cut shapes at most craft stores, or cut them out yourself if you don’t have a machine.  I simply painted on Mod Podge where I wanted the shape, then placed the shape in that spot, and painted a layer of Mod Podge on top.

I painted an extra coat of Mod Podge over the whole tile to seal and protect it.

The last thing I did was hot glue some foam padding on the bottom so it won’t scratch the furniture!
(Sorry about the poor picture quality, but the sun was shining right in the window for this one.)

These adorable coasters would make a great gift for a teacher, friends, or neighbors!  This would also be a really fun craft project for kids…the possibilities are truly endless!

AMAZING TIP! http://t.co/CgS29NsBXX - 20 hours ago

Comments

comments

Comments

I made some of these for my family at Christmas and they loved them and they were so easy to do. I also sprayed a thin coat of clear spray paint on mine. I LOVE the die cuts you put on yours! Coasters have endless possibilities!

Ok- Jessica…super super cute! How fun and easy are these!?! What a great summer thing to do..could make great gifts as well! Loving this!

What a super idea!! What a fun hostess gift they would be!! I love the summer theme, too!! So cute!! :)

Fab idea, you can never have enough coasters, mine always disappear. Thanks for sharing, will definitely be giving this a go.

Those are so cool! I love coasters, and I have a ton. Maybe I should just say that I’m officially collecting coasters. These are just so fun.

Oh, and I love these! SO colorful and fun!

Thanks so much for linking up at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

~Abbie

So cute. I need to make some cute ones for summer. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

These coasters are so cute! Thanks for being a part of our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We loved having you and hope you’ll be back! -The Sisters

Great tutorial! These are VERY fun coasters…my mind is dancing..no, buzzing with even ideas from your great inspiration!

hugZ,
    annie
    anniesrubyslipperz.com

Those are so super cute. I just love them. Perfect for summer. I’d love for you to come and join in my party that is going on right now. Hope to see you there.

I’m wishing that I had a Circut or something similar to it then I could easily make some of those cute cutouts! Yours are just so cute! I bought a set of tiles also to make a set of coasters. I was just wondering how well the paper holds up when you put a glass of water on it? Does it bubble at all?

Anonymous says

Mod podge is not waterproof so you need to spray a waterproof sealer on them and they will work perfect.

Ack! These are just toooooo stinkin’ cute!

Letting you know that I’m featuring these today for our Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL round up! : )

~Abbie

Don’t tell… but I have never Mod Podged a thing. Those are darling! Love the pinchy critters best =)

I just LOVE these….I have a bunch of tiles….thx for the inspiration! Visiting from shabbygals.blogspot.com. Stop by for a visit when you get a chance!

Oh wow, I love this!! I’ve been wanting to use my Mod Podge. I’m a newbie. LOL I’m from KY too, by the way…def. loving the weather.

Thanks for sharing. Looks easy enough!!

-Lauren

Did you have to put any other sealer on them? With Mod Podge being water soluable, I’m afraid as the drinks “sweat” they finish will disolve. Did you find this to be true? :-) They’re so cute.