DIY iPhone Case w/ Mod Podge!

decoupaged-iPhone-case
This is one of those projects that I have been dying to do for months, but I was a little scared!  There was absolutely no possible way I was paying $50 for the phone case that I actually wanted, so I made my own…complete with my initials on it!

This sweet phone case is made with…wait for it…Paper!  I simply laid down a piece of thin scrapbook paper, and traced the phone case.  I left about an inch extra of paper all the way around, then painted a thin coat of Mod Podge on the inside of the paper (the white side).  If you haven’t tried Modge Podge yet, you must do it!  It’s the best product ever, and I am absolutely not getting paid to say that!  Okay…after you paint a coat of Mod Podge on the plain side of your paper, lay your phone case down in the middle, then start pulling it over the edge of the case, and flatten out with your fingers.  Now you wait for it to dry…about 2 hours.  After it dries, take an x-acto knife and cut (slowly) through the camera lens opening on the case, and the opening for your volume buttons on the case.  Once you have done that, paint a thin coat of Mod Podge over the entire case and let dry thoroughly.  After your case has dried, use your x-acto knife to trim away any extra paper.  I went back the next day and put an additional coat on just to protect it.  I also added a vinyl monogram that I cut on my Cricut machine as well.

Please excuse the hideous fingernails…I have been working on many projects.
Also, I had already made my case without taking pictures, because I was concentrating, so these pics are of me showing you how to fold the paper over the case I had already made…they turned out slightly fuzzy because I was holding a camera and folding paper at the same time…can you say multi talented?
I tried this with a very inexpensive case.  It took some adjusting, so try not to get frustrated, and maybe get an extra sheet of the same paper ready in case you mess up…I did, and had to start over after the first try.
 I absolutely love my case, and nobody else has one exactly like mine!  Yay!
Have you ever dropped your iPhone (or any phone for that matter) in the toilet, bathtub, or a sink full of water?  Well…I did.
 jessicafollow

Todayk, Pauline from ChicaCircle is sharing the cutest Mother's Day Frame with Homemade Enamel Dots and a Free... http://t.co/EH92Dp1Vbd - 20 hours ago

Comments

comments

Comments

I really like what you did! That is a beautiful case. I bought the Ottor Box for my iPhone becaue it protects the phone if I drop it but I can see from your instructions how I can personalize it to better suit my personality. Thanks for the great instructions!

Well… I don’t have the latest and greatest iPhone made to date.. In fact I just own one of the plain old little flip phones that fits in the curled up palm of my hand.. But I think that this idea would be fun for an eyeglass/sunglasses case, you think?!!… Well, LOVE how your phone case came out anyways!! Have a great day! ~tina

The phone case is absolutely the cutest!!! Thanks so much for joining us on “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more great ideas! -The Sisters

I love that iPhone case. Sooo pretty!! I just found your blog on seven thiry-three. I just put an iPhone wallpaper on her blog. Check it out.

Cp says

Hi,

This is great!! I wanted to try using a piece of fabric I embroidered for an i-phone case and was looking for similar ideas. Your pic’s are great, and the case absolutely Rocks!!

CP

This is one of those projects that I have been dying to do for months, but I was a little scared! There was absolutely no possible way I was paying $50 for the phone case that I actually wanted coque iphone 4

I am so glad I found this post, first result on google! Would this same idea work with a Samsung galaxy SIII otterbox case? I just spent sooo much money on it but want to put my own design to personalize it.

Ana says

Hi Jessica!

Great idea ) was just wondering – does the case not get sticky/greasy (as in the glue) with time after being handled on a daily basis?

Such a great idea, can’t wait to try it out!

Could I ask which Mod Podge you like to use for this specific job? I’m unsure whether to go for gloss or matte. There are so many other options too!